skip to content

Biological Sciences Libraries

Balfour was Professor of Animal Morphology at the University of Cambridge at the time of his death. Books were given by his family to form the nucleus of the Zoological Department Library. The collection comprised over 500 books plus 77 bound pamphlets. These were originally housed on the site of the Austin Wing of the Cavendish Laboratory until the Department moved in 1933.

Up until 1906 the Library was mainly funded by student fees. The Balfour Library Endowment Fund was established in 1906 when an appeal for subscriptions was issued with the aim of placing the Library in a more secure position and easing the pressure on departmental finances. The collection of technical works, journals and papers was immediately accessible to and heavily used by students, teaching staff and other researchers, forming both a tangible memorial to him and an essential part of the resources of the Department.

Zoology Library

 

 

 

Address

The Library 
Department of Zoology 
Downing Street
Cambridge - CB2 3EJ 

Telephone      01223 336648
Email zoo@lib.cam.ac.uk
Find us Cam map

 

Opening hours:

Mon-Thu           8:30am-5pm

Friday                Open only to Zoology Department members with card access to the building

Non-Department members and anyone requiring assistance must also check the Updates on the left before coming to the library.

 

Study space access restricted to:

  • Natural Sciences Tripos undergraduates
  • Zoology staff and postgraduates

Non-University members and anyone requiring assistance must contact the library in advance as staff are not always available.

 

Senior Library Assistant: Jane Acred

 

Access full text anywhere

     >View Video about Lean Library<